"The Way to Infinity"... a flash fiction

"The Way to Infinity"

        by Ben Bussewitz



Chapter 1

There was a fox in the garden he didn’t see and it was for me. The fox ate him and it was for me. I ate the fox.

This is how it begins today, in the still, quiet sound of yesterdays’ prayers remembered.

The way to infinity is to go in a circle for one minute, spinning.

The way to infinity is to go in a pattern that tricks the eye.

This is the pattern that tricks the eye: all the vowels, including ‘y,’ together, taken forever.

This is the way it began, then he started to run, but the fox ate hm. It was for me. I ate the fox.

The way to do it with speed is to do it in between the light years that are in your feet buzzing a melody to life serene. The way to do it is to jump up and down in the atmosphere, way up there, without care, with the water below you floating.

That is the way to go, of this have no doubt. It is veritably true. Yes, because I say so.

So, do it for me.

You may not know it now, but you will.

Chapter 2

The way to infinity is to go as fast as you can in a prism of light.

The way to infinity is my birthright.

The way to infinity is in full speed ahead, the captain roaring, the crew soaring, laughing wholeheartedly with God’s fortune.

The way to a thousand golden coins is the treasure chest you bring for me after following a map for one hundred years.

You’ll do it for me.

The way for a million dollars is to steal it and bring it to me, then to turn yourself in, saying the money is gone.

You will.

Chapter 3

The way to a new life is to ride on a horse backwards for a year.

The way to a million dollars is to ride backwards on a horse for a day.

Chapter 4

The wisdom that I say to you is that I am completely unique and so are you. This is true. But I can beat you in games of luck every time.

The way to a thousand rubies is to scratch your head, then mention something I said.

This is what those prison convicts do, grassed with tattoos. This is what they do most politely, all their days; it shines brightly.

The way to a thousand rubies is also just to ask the favor, as long as you ask an Indian.

Comments